Lately, we have been doing a pretty good job of catching up on old posts. And by catching up, I mean I am writing about experiences in August.
I put together a snapshot summary of our August in the form of an infographic. Well I should say, I finished the summary I started in September. Mostly, so I have a checklist for what I still need to write and eventually creating a “must do” list for the countries we visit.
Note: After the infographic, I included A LOT of details of what we did when we were not parading our life online, which was most of the time considering we really didn’t post much.
Again, no candy will be thrown (due to liability reasons).
The following maybe TMI (too much information) for most readers.
However to the Jeffsetter’s, this is JEI (just enough information) to remember what we did. We write this post as much for ourselves as we do for everyone else. Based on this list, we had a mildly entertaining August. (Sarastica font)
I guess the way I would look at this is – if you are looking for things to do on Maui and places to stay in French Polynesia, then keep reading.
Hawaii – Eat, Sleep and Do
After wrapping up July on the Big Island, we headed back to Maui with a quick stop in Oahu before heading to French Polynesia.
Sights and Activities
- Kapalua Coastal Trail – a great afternoon hike along the coast
- Kamaole Beach Park II – where we spent most of our time
- Road to Hana – Bamboo Forest (side entrance) – Stop 1, – Hike of Death Stop 2 – Hana, Stop 3 -Rainbow Eucalyptus, and Stop 4 – Ho‘okipa
- Haleakala Crater at Sunrise
- Ululani’s Hawaiian Shave Ice – ah-mazing and made with real fruit and juices
- Maui Brewing Company – Tastings
- Hali’imaile Distilling – Tour and tasting
- Maui Lavender Cafe – just popped in to see the lavender fields
- Surfing Goat Dairy – Tour and tasting
- Maui’s Winery – Tour
- Backroad to Hana and 7 Sacred Pools – we were not allowed to go in the pool because the water was too high, Drone Video of a stop on the drive, GoPro Video of the drive
- Nakalele Point Blow Hole (backroad) – (Mrs. J’s adventure) (Mr. J visits)
- Diving the Molokai Crater – Mrs. J GoPro video
- Waikiki Beach – CROWEDED!!
- Photo Tour of Oahu – this was not great, ok it was kind of bad, two people had their bags stolen on the first stop. I guess this is the risk of using Livingsocial
- Diamond Head Trail – Mrs. J thought this was the worst experience ever.
- Fred’s Mexican Cafe & Cantina – its fine and right next to our Airbnb, I wouldn’t go out of my way to go here
- Montage Kapalua Bay – stopped here for a beer after a hike, wish we could afford to stay here
- Nick’s Fishmarket – don’t bother going here, high-priced mediocre food
- Kina’ole Grill (Shrimp Truck) – must try at least one shrimp truck
- Grandma’s Coffee House – great breakfast
- Monkey Pod – good cocktails, great beer list and nice for happy hour
- Star Noodle – omg yum! out of the way from where we were, but worth it!
- Sammy’s Bar and Grill (Airport) – beers before catching our plane
- Nico’s at Pier 38 – Great place, good food, reasonable prices, outside of the tourist area. Thanks for dinner Matt!!
- Maui Brewing Company – Pub food and great beer
- Blue Water Shrimp Truck – yes another shrimp truck
- The Pig and the Lady – Probably our favorite restaurant in Hawaii. I have no idea why the yelp ratings are not higher. Thanks Kyle!!!
- Hard Rock Cafe Honolulu – our farewell US lunch (Mr. J quote, “I need a bath after this experience.”)
- Roy’s Waikiki – The other one is in SF across from my old office
- Cheeseburger in Paradise – just grabbed happy hour beers
- Tiki’s Grill & Bar – Hotel restaurant
French Polynesia – Eat, Sleep and Do
While in French Polynesia, we visited Tahiti, Bora Bora and Moorea. This was our second time to Moorea and Tahiti, so we spent most of our nights on Bora Bora. Beautiful, but I can’t say it is my favorite island.
Sights and Activities
- Visiting Viatape
- Laying in the sun, SUP, snorkelling and swimming
- Tiki Bar Lounge
- Te Tare
- Fare Hana
- Vini Vini Bar
- Sand’s Bar
- Bloody Mary’s – On Bora Bora. Yum! Fresh seafood, the menu is the actual food you will eat
- Pizza Daniel – On Moorea, road our bikes here and it was delicious even the tuna pizza
- InterContinental Tahiti Resort and Spa – Review
- InterContinental Le Moana
- InterContinental Bora Bora Resort and Thalasso Spa
- InterContinental Moorea
- Le Crusoe Bora Bora – Review