The Andaz Maui is a much loved and hated property. It’s a fantastic place, but the property does a lot of things that tick people off. For example, Andaz Maui increases resort fee.
I stayed at the Andaz Maui exactly once. This was two years ago over the Valentine’s Day weekend using my Hyatt Visa signup certificates. The reservation was a struggle to obtain, as the property plays games with availability. However, Mrs. Island Miler and I loved our time there and would love to return. But I’d never pay cash to stay there, as not only are the rates high but so are the resort fee and parking. At the time, the resort fee and parking fee were both $40/night. That’s $80 per night on top of your $450+/night rate. Seriously?
Resort Fee Increase
I hate the resort fee at the Andaz Maui. However, the fee would be more palatable if it included parking, but it doesn’t. And now the property has decided to increase the fee with zero change in benefits. So, beginning February 1, 2018, the Andaz Maui’s resort fee increased from $40/night to $45/night. That’s not a huge difference, I know, but it still an increase on a ridiculous ancillary fee that serves no purpose.
In case you’re wondering, here’s what the Andaz Maui’s resort fee gets you:
- GoPro Hero 4 Camera – unlimited use
- GoPro experience lab
- Daily Outrigger Canoe Excursions
- Snorkel equipment unlimited use
- Yoga and Pilates Classes
- Other fitness classes
- Single & Tandem Bikes/helmets
- Guided Kayak Tours
- Ukulele lessons
- Hula lessons
- Coconut Husking
- 45-minute beach portrait session includes a $50 Photo Credit.
- Lei making lessons
- Stand up paddleboard lessons
- Mixology class with two drinks (twice a week)
- Unlimited use of body boards
Andaz Maui Increasing Resort Fee, Final Thoughts
Resort fees are awful, though the Andaz Maui is hardly alone in this area. And while their’s is bad, I think the Waikiki Beach Marriott’s resort fee is even worse. There, you’ll pay $37/night plus $40/night parking, and that resort fee comes with:
- Fitness & Cultural classes daily
- Enhanced High-Speed Internet Access
- 60 Minutes U.S. and International phone calls daily
- Unlimited Blu-ray or DVD rental
- PressReader – Unlimited Digital Newspapers and Magazines Download
- One Introductory Scuba Diving or Snorkeling lesson
- Macadamia Nut Chocolate Amenity on Arrival • Additional discounts from select shops and activity providers located at the resort
The Waikiki Beach Marriott’s resort fee is only slightly less than the Andaz Maui’s, though the Andaz Maui is an infinitely better hotel. That being said, you can get award nights at the Waikiki Beach Marriott, and quite easily at that. Award nights at the Andaz Maui, on the other hand, are impossible to get now. I pulled random dates from next week through March 2019, including weekend and middle-of-the-week nights, and there’s nothing. Even when the paid rates drop to $400/night, nothing. And it’s my understanding that Hyatt owns the Andaz Maui now, so this situation makes even less sense. This situation, as well as the crap-show that is World of Hyatt, has me more or less abandoning the brand now.